I am unashamed to proclaim how much I love food. Similar to Oprah Winfrey announcing her deep adoration for bread, I am well aware and proud to be a foodie at heart. There’s nothing like that sensation you feel when conversing with other loved ones over a good meal. Or, the dance your taste-buds perform when experiencing the flavors of a well-prepared dish.
My love for food also means I need to keep a healthy balance of my nutrition and physical activity. I don’t believe in diets or exercising everyday, but I will be mindful over what I eat and engage in some exercise a few times per week.
One of my favorite meals is chicken pot pie. It’s filling, creamy, and full of love to make you feel good on the inside. I first made this recipe with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, and it was a hit. Now, my husband requests this meal at least once a month.
Again, I don’t focus on calories or follow diets. I eat to nourish my body and eat what my body craves. When I want something that is filling and still is full of protein and veggies, a pot pie it is. And this pot pie will not disappoint!
Chicken Pot Pie: serves 6
- 1 lb. chicken boneless breast (can use rotisserie chicken)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. chopped onion
- 1 can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk (I use 1%)
- 1 lb. frozen mixed veggies (corn, green beans, carrots, peas)
- 1 box prepared, pie crust (top and bottom)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut chicken into 1 in. cubes and cook on stove top in a skillet, lightly coated with olive oil. Season chicken to taste (I use seasoning salt, garlic, cumin, Italian seasoning). Remove chicken from heat when browned.
- While chicken is cooking, place whole wheat flour and olive oil in a pot, set on medium. Blend the oil to the flour, until the mixture is clumped.
- Add chicken broth and milk to flour mixture. Break apart the flour mixture, and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Allow the mixture to thicken, around 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Set oven to 375° degrees Fahrenheit. Open pie crust packages to allow the crusts to adjust to room temperature.
- Once mixture is thickened, add chicken and veggies. Add salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Place 1 pie crust into a 9-inch round pan, lightly coated in olive oil. Add pie filling to crust and spread evenly.
- Add top pie crust and tuck the edges of the top crust between the edge of the bottom crust and the pan. Press crusts together to prevent filling from spilling out.
- Cut slits across top of pie crust. Place the pie into the oven.
- Allow the pie to cook for 45-50 minutes, until top crust is golden brown.
The only setback with this delicious pie is that it is a bit messy to remove from the pan. We usually eat ours in a bowl. Enjoy!
-KP, the Foodie